SHARDEIN SCHOOL LIBRARY CHARTER
1- Be the knowledge hub of the school and disseminate knowledge as widely as possible.
2- Facilitate creation of new knowledge.
3- Facilitate optimal use of knowledge by all staff and students.
4-Ensure easy access to the facilities available to all staff and students.
5- Encourage and foster reading habit among staff and students.
6- Effectively participate in the teaching-learning programme of the school.
In order to achieve these objectives the library will undertake to:-
1- Serve as the center of information for the school and provide easy access to national and global knowledge to all staff and students.
2- Offer an inviting and attractive physical space with proper seating arrangements and other amenities.
3- Offer proactive services to all users.
4- Optimize its potential to provide access to information and knowledge to all by proper display, categorization classification of resource materials.
5- Help all the users to develop the skills to make optimum use of all the facilities.
6- Undertake activities to foster an interest in books and increase involvement in the library.
7- Improve the collection and services on a continuing basis in consultation with users’ stakeholders.
8- To work effectively and efficiently by undertaking every activity in a professional manner.
General guidelines for the library-
1. The library must maintain a well-rounded core collection including reference materials to satisfy the regular needs of the staff and students. The core collection would consist of several copies of textbooks, reference materials related to each subject, costly essential books which would include encyclopedias, maps, atlas, rare books on particular topics/subjects or exclusive editions of general books.
2. Besides the core collection other general (fiction and nonfiction) books for regular issue should be available in the library.
3. Weeding out of books should be a regular feature and should be carried out with the approval of the competent authority, at least once in a year
4 Categorizing/classifying and indexing of books should be invariably done keeping in mind the objective of the library.
5. The library should follow open access system.
Size of library collection-
1. The core collection of the library should take into account the size of the school and subjects offered besides covering project based activities, career guidance, counseling etc.
2. Books should be available in both English and Hindi.
. 3. Low cost and age relevant editions of classics and fictions should be preferred for the general section of the school library.
4. During annual stock taking, weeding out of collection should also be carried out.
5. Besides books, libraries should subscribe to useful magazines, periodicals and journals.
Services to be provided by the library
1. Issue of books for home use – Each student would be issued one book at a time for a period of one week .The return books on time would compulsorily lead to penalty of Re.2/- per day for all (students).
2. A recall system for overdue books should be introduced. This could be achieved by sending an overdue note to the concerned student through the Class Teacher. In case of staff the note can be sent through the school office.
3. Re-issue of books by a user may be allowed maximum one more after first issue.
4. Newly purchased books should not be issued to any user for at least one month but should be displayed separately as new arrivals.
5. Issue of subject reference books – Only subject reference books from reference section would be issued for home use on those days when the successive day is a holiday. The book will have to be returned on the next working day. Dictionaries, Encyclopedias etc would not be issued.
6. One set of textbooks may be issued to teachers for the subject being taught by them for the whole session.
7. In case a user losses a book he/she would have to either replace the book or deposit the price of the book with late-fine in the library.
8. Each user would be provided with library cards for issue of books.
9. Reading facilities in the Library – There should be comfortable seating arrangement with proper lighting in the library. The library would be open on all working days and the entire duration of school hours.
10. Each section will have two library periods per week. Classes VI to XII will go to the library during this period.
14. Computer and Internet access – The library should have a computer, which would be used for storing information of the collection, record of books issued books.
Organization of the Library
1. A proper system of cataloging and classification of the collection should be done to provide easy access and also to keep account of the books.
2. Computerization of the library should be carried out.
3. Books should be arranged in lockable shelves but open access system should be followed.
4. The library’ should subscribe at least 10 periodicals/journals/magazines. These should be attractively displayed on magazine racks.
5. The library should also carry out a number of activities like:-
i. Display of latest books, magazines & periodicals.
ii. Book reviews
iii. No. of general( fiction and non fiction) books, v. Subject wise list of books
iv. Class wise list of fiction and non-fiction available in the library..
Management of Library
1. The librarian will manage the library and the duties of the librarian will include all that has been stated in the previous sections.